Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 15

What's special about July 3rd? Firstly, it's the day before the fourth of July. It's the day of Bryan's U23 National Road Race. It's also my birthday. I told Bryan that all I wanted as a present was for him to win nationals. Considering the head cold he went into the race with, 29th place is basically a victory.

This is the second year I've been away from home on my birthday, and to continue with the trend set last summer in New Zealand, my parents had some baked goods delivered to me at a completely unexpected time. As I stepped out of the van returning from Bryan's race, a slightly disheveled guy driving a Toyota Corolla handed me a box of (gluten free!) cupcakes and merrily said "happy birthday Tim!" before driving off. Not weird at all.

On a similar note, despite being thousands of miles away, my wonderful sister still managed to make me feel right at home with some well-planned messages on Facebook. The original images and text can be found below. Love you Emily!

As the actual national championship races approach, the ritual arrival of the parents begins. The opportunities to win a stars-and-stripes jersey are few and far-between, and considering we actually have a decent shot this year, many moms and dads have shown up to make sure they don't miss what could be a once-in-a-lifetime moment. With the Cerrutis, Schaupps, and Ellsworths here, we just need a few surfboards and a sparkling sunset to make us believe we're back at the winter training camp in Santa Cruz.














Happy birthday from the kingdom to the best brother in the world!

(ed. note- The realm refers to the collection of stuffed animals that live in Emily's bedroom. They are ruled by Prince Big Fluffy the Second [on the right]. He eats dinner with us)



I've already posted your birthday collage from the realm, but...

Today's your birthday, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to share this legendary photo with the rest of the world. It's pretty hard to believe that this little dork grew up into the fairly normal person you are today! Have a great day, and kick some serious butt at nationals!

No comments:

Post a Comment